- Home >
- About Us
History & Interesting Facts about Lamm Farm & Gardens
John Lamm began his landscaping career in 1960 in Glendale, WI. After completing college and the Navy he moved his business to Jackson in 1966 and created a full-time landscape company. Our family continues to celebrate 50 years and growing in landscape design, installation and management services!
The entire farm is over 150 acres, with about 20 acres of nursery. Areas are still farmed and woodlands preserved for wildlife and green space. Sylvia's garden, located near the garden center, is a memorial garden named for John's mother, an avid gardener. It has 52 Sugar Maples encircling a white music pavilion. An antique carousel from Belgium (circa 1900) is a unique attraction. It is powered by a pony for special events. Various garden concerts, events and weddings are held in the garden areas.
The Great Bridge of 1883 was originally built in Des Plaines, IL as a railroad bridge but then moved to be a roadway bridge in the Town of Lebanon in Dodge County in the 1920's. In 1996, Lamm's offered to reconstruct this historic bridge over Cedar Creek, when the State of Wisconsin had plans to destroy and replace it. The bridge was brought to Lamm's and after much restoration, was dedicated in May, 1998. It is used by us daily to cross Cedar Creek and has become an attraction for the community.
Longmeadow Lake, approximately 3 acres, was created over 30 years ago and is spring fed. There are 2 smaller lakes on the property also. Cedar Creek, originating in Big Cedar Lake, runs through the farm and eventually ends up in Lake Michigan.
The second historic bridge of 1928, just recently dedicated in September 2006, also crosses Cedar Creek. It will help the landscape expansion area grow, as well as provide a connection to "Lammscapeland – a future dream to preserve farmland, woodlands and natural landscapes for all to enjoy. Watch for more exciting plans on this family park in the near future !
Most of the buildings on the property are over 100 years old. They have been renovated and are all used as part of the landscape business. The log building, in the front of the garden center named "Liberty House, was originally the Slinger Post Office and was moved here in the early 1970's. It is used for various groups, seminars and events.
Cedar Creek Central Railroad Club operates several model train layouts at Lamm Gardens. The 3 railroads currently operating are: the garden railroad (G scale), the indoor HO gauge and the tiny N gauge, which is a small version of the entire Lamm Farm and Gardens property.
The Lamm Family welcomes families to enjoy a visit to the country. Many seasonal events are offered throughout the year, including educational seminars, garden concerts, hayrides and Christmas activities. Plans for a larger family-oriented park are underway. Activities will include hayrides, train rides, boats and much more !
Please visit again soon and bring your friends !